Certification, Licensing, and Registration
The EOHHS is committed to helping all Rhode Islanders make responsible and informed decisions about health and human services providers and professionals.
Information on certification, licensing and registration shows the basic requirements of quality, safety and competence EOHHS partners and providers must meet to operate or practice in Rhode Island and to participate in our health and human services. There is also information about whether some types of EOHHS partners and providers have met or surpassed these requirements.
- EOHHS partners and providers will find most of the important information about State and agency requirements they need.
- All Rhode Islanders can use the information on certification, licensing and registration to learn more about the network of providers and professionals that work in the EOHHS delivery system.
There are several ways to meet the State’s minimum standards to operate or practice in Rhode Island.
- Health care professionals (doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and so forth) and facilities (hospitals, nursing homes, etc) must meet the licensure and /or certification standards set by the RI Department of Health (DOH). There are national accreditation or certification standards that some health care providers must also meet. Health plans and insurers are licensed by the State’s ( DOH) and the Office of the Health Insurance Commission (OHIC). There are also national accreditation organizations. See list of these organizations.
- The Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) licenses and regulates child care providers including centers and family home providers.
- The Department of Behavioral Healthcare, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals (BHDDH) licenses and regulates behavioral health organizations like Community Mental Health Centers and group homes, substance abuse providers and the organizations and group homes serving people with disabilities. Behavioral health professionals are licensed and regulated by DOH.
- Information about the Certificate of Need process
- Want to check on the status of a licensed physician MD or DO?