Katie Beckett is an eligibility category in Medicaid that allows certain children under age 19 who have long-term disabilities or complex medical needs to become eligible for Medicaid coverage. Katie Beckett eligibility enables children to be cared for at home instead of an institution. With Katie Beckett, only the child's income and resources are used to determine eligibility.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for Medicaid coverage through Katie Beckett, a child must be under age 19, a Rhode Island resident, and:
- Meet the income and resource requirements for Medicaid for persons with a disability;
- Qualify under the U.S. Social Security Administration’s (SSA) definition of disability:
- Live at home; and
- Require a level of care at home that is typically provided in a hospital, nursing facility or an Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Mental Retardation (ICF-MR)
How Much Does it Cost?
There is no cost to families.
How to Apply?
To apply for Medicaid through the Katie Beckett provision, a parent or guardian would need to complete the application online or a paper DHS-2 Application. For questions on Katie Beckett, please call the numbers below. For questions on the application, please call DHS at 1-855-697-4347. If you choose to complete the paper application, please mail it to: DHS/State of Rhode Island, P.O. Box 8709, Cranston, RI 02920-8787
For More Information
- Katie Beckett FAQs
- Katie Beckett Fact Sheet
- Level of Care Criteria for Medicaid Eligibility
- For help with the application process, contact one of our Social Caseworkers at: if the child's last name begins with A-M, call (401) 462-0760 if the child's last name begins with N-Z, call (401) 462-0754
- For information on re-determinations or for general information on Katie Beckett, contact our Parent Consultant at: (401) 462-0633
- For clinical questions, contact our Public Health Nurse at: (401) 462-0070
- For general information- DHS Info Line (401) 462-5300
RI Executive Office of Health and Human Services
Rhode Island Medicaid/Katie Beckett
74 West Rd., Hazard Bldg.-Lower Level
Cranston, Rhode Island 02920