Katie Beckett Eligibility for Children with Disabilities and Special Needs
Katie Beckett is an eligibility category that allows certain children under age 19 who have long term disabilities or complex medical needs to become eligible for Medicaid coverage. Katie Beckett eligibility enables children to be cared for at home instead of in an institution. With Katie Beckett, only the child’s income and resources are used to determine eligibility.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for Medicaid coverage through Katie Beckett, a child must be under age 19, a Rhode Island resident, and:
- Meet the income and resource requirements for Medicaid for persons with a disability;
- Qualify under the U.S. Social Security Administration’s (SSA) definition of disability:
- Live at home; and
- Require a level of care at home that is typically provided in a hospital, nursing facility or an Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Mental Retardation (ICF-MR)
How Much Does it Cost?
There is no cost to families.
How to Apply?
To apply for Medicaid through the Katie Beckett provision, a parent or guardian would need to complete ALL the following forms in the application packet.
(Please note: KB-DHS 1 & 2 is not the whole application; please print out all forms below.)
In addition, please review the Instructions for the Physician Evaluation Form. This form must be submitted to your child’s pediatrician or physician who is treating the condition that you believe may allow your child to be eligible for Katie Beckett. Please ask this physician to complete the form and either include the completed form with your application or ask the physician to submit it directly to the: Katie Beckett Unit, Center for Child and Family Health, Hazard Building, 74 West Road, Cranston, R.I. 02920.
- Additional Documents Parents/guardians are encouraged to send in copies of recent (within last 12 months) evaluations by medical or behavioral specialists, the Early Intervention Program (IFSP), Special Education (IEP), or other providers who have evaluated the child. These evaluations help us determine if your child may be eligible. If additional clinical information is needed to establish eligibility, parents/guardians will recieve a letter specifying what information is needed.
Keep these forms for your information:
For More Information
- Katie Beckett FAQs
- Katie Beckett Fact Sheet
- Level of Care Criteria for Medicaid Eligibility
- For help with the application process, contact one of our Social Caseworkers at: if the child's last name begins with A-M, call (401) 462-0760 if the child's last name begins with N-Z, call (401) 462-0754
- For information on re-determinations or for general information on Katie Beckett, contact our Parent Consultant at: (401) 462-0633
- For clinical questions, contact our Public Health Nurse at: (401) 462-0070
- For general information- DHS Info Line (401) 462-5300
Executive Office of Health and Human Services,
Center for Child and Family Health/ Katie Beckett
74 West Rd., Hazard Bldg.-Lower Level
Cranston, Rhode Island 02920