Healthcare for Families with Children
The EOHHS provides affordable care coverage for families with children and pregnant women through RIte Care Medicaid managed care Plans and the RIte Share Premium Assistance Program. Health coverage through RIte Care or RIte Share works like a health insurance plan you would get from an employer, on your own or through an organization. Whether you qualify for Medicaid affordable care depends on the tax-based income of your family or the people in your household who need health coverage. If you don't qualify, you may be eligible for other forms of affordable coverage through Health Source RI, the State's new health insurance exchange.
Types of Health Coverage
Comprehensive Medicaid health coverage for families with children is available through:
- RIte Care -- Rhode Island’s Medicaid managed care plans for families on the RI Works Program, pregnant women, and children and, in some cases, their parents or caretakers. Once determined eligible, you will be enrolled in a participating health plan: UnitedHealthcare Community Plan or Neighborhood Health Plan of RI.
- RIte Share -- the RI's Premium Assistance Program that provides health coverage through an employer's health insurance. The State will pay all or part of the worker in the family's share of the cost for the employer health insurance coverage.
Am I Eligible?
Eligibility is based on tax-base income and family size according to the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines as shown below:
- Pregnant women with income up to 253% of the FPL
- Children up to age 19 with income up to 261% of the FPL
- Parents with children under age 18 with income up to 133% of the FPL
Under health care reform, eligibility is determined in a new way that lets people with income up to 5% higher qualify for Medicaid.
What Benefits are Covered?
- Doctor’s office visits
- Lab tests
- Mental health services
- Drug or alcohol treatment
- Referral to specialists
- Hospital care
- Emergency care
- Home health care
- Skilled nursing care
- Nutrition services
- Interpreter services
- Childbirth education programs
- Parenting classes
- Smoking cessation programs
- Transportation services
- Dental care
(See below for more information)
How Do I Apply?
APPLY ON-LINE - There is a new on-line application located at the website Healthy Rhode that will take you step-by-step through the application process. If you have access to the web, applying on-line is the best choice. It is both easy and fast and will tell you all of your affordable health coverage options, both Medicaid and Non-Medicaid.
APPLY IN PERSON OR BY MAIL - You can apply in person or by mail at one of the Department of Human Services (DHS) field offices or the Contact Center. Call this number (1-855-609-3304) if you need help finding a place to apply or with completing the application.
For More Information
RIte Care Health Plans
RIte Share (401) 462-0311
DHS Info Line (401) 462-5300
Other Health Programs and Services